Waterloo Directory of English Newspapers and Periodicals, 1800-1900
Online, Print + Online
Print: 2003, 20 Bände, gebunden
Inhalt :: Content
Bibliographisches Verzeichnis mit mehr als 50.000 Nachweisen von Ausgaben englischsprachiger Zeitschriften und Zeitungen des 19. Jahrhunderts.
Suche :: Retrieval
Verlag :: Publisher
North Waterloo Academic Press
Preis :: Price
Preise auf Anfrage / Prices on request
Das Angebot richtet sich nicht an Verbraucher i. S. d. § 13 BGB und Letztverbraucher i. S. d. PAngV.
Bestellnummer bei digento :: digento order number
Verlagsinformation :: Publisher's information
Here is a directory to the largest single body of historical documents arising out of nineteenth century England at the height of the British Empire. This empire was by some measures the most powerful and influential in the history of civilization: she held sway over the largest land mass and the greatest proportion of the world's people. Having become in the 19th century one of the most literate of all societies, England established the Victorian periodical and newspaper press as a primary vehicle of participatory democracy. The Directory provides a more comprehensive, detailed and useful bibliographical record (including Locations and facsimile Title Pages) than we yet have for printed books, government publications or manuscripts of the century. It is subject-comprehensive, intending to include every periodical and newspaper published on a regular basis, from daily to annually, in every language, within England: a goldmine for cultural historians, genealogists and all subject specialists. Newspapers and periodicals were more than one-hundred-fold the volume and readership of printed books.
Series 2 (2003) compared to Series 1 (1997)
Series 2 includes all 25,000 of the Series 1 (1997) entries, most of them now updated, and an additional 25,000 entries, for a total of 50,000. It has 4,000 more facsimile title pages for a total of 9,000, and includes 48,000 personal names. For instance, every name in the DNB and Modern English Biography which is associated with a Victorian periodical appears here:
- Library locations are provided for the UK and North America.
- Indexes are provided by title, subject, place of publication (by town and county), issuing body and people.
- A major feature of the Directory is the development of a family tree for all titles related through mergers, common issuing bodies, or title changes.
- The online edition is updated daily.
This series includes the pertinent holdings of the Cambridge University Libraries, the University of London Libraries, the British Library's three branches (the main Euston Road branch, the Colindale Newspaper Branch and Boston Spa Yorkshire Documents Lending Branch), and such specialized London repositories as the Royal Society Library, Wellcome Medical Library, and the Royal Institute of British Architects. All the nineteenth century English titles in NEWSPLAN are included, usually in much greater detail.
The Directory also contains data from some 8,000 secondary sources which together provide scholarly commentary on the majority of entries.
The Online edition has no limit on single-site simultaneous users. Access may be allowed throughout your facility by a range of IP addresses, or User Account/Password, or another method preferred by your library. Features include:
- Six indexes: Title, Place: Town, Place: County, Issuing Body, People, Subject.
- Each index may be either browsed alphabetically or searched for a specific word.
- Global search: by any word combination
- Advanced search: by an combination of Title (partial or whole), Issuing Body, People, Subject, Place, Dates.
- A Search History is provided for each session so that scholars may record, return to or modify any request.
- Browse our online sample queries and notice our answers.
The standard Licence may be tailored to the preferences and jurisdictional requirements of each customer.
Information has been sought and generally found for 30 fields per record:
- Later Title
- Generic Title
- Issuing body
- Sub-issuing body
- Illustrations [types of]
- Names [personnel whose function is unknown]
- Orientation [political or religious]
- Locations [UK & N. America]
- Facsimile TitlePage
Series 2 renders Series 1 obsolete. However, customers who have purchased Series 1 in print or CD-ROM version are given credit for the full price of their Series 1 purchase against the Series 2 price.