Current Digest of the Post-Soviet Press (CDPSP) Digital Archive
Inhalt :: Content
Wöchentlich aktualisierter Digest mit einer Auswahl aus der russischsprachigen Presse in englischer Übersetzung. Zeitliche Abdeckung: 1949 ff.
Verlag :: Publisher
East View Information Services
Preis :: Price
Preise auf Anfrage / Prices on request
Das Angebot richtet sich nicht an Verbraucher i. S. d. § 13 BGB und Letztverbraucher i. S. d. PAngV.
Bestellnummer bei digento :: digento order number
Verlagsinformation :: Publisher's information
Encompassing the entire run of The Current Digest of the Soviet/Post-Soviet Press, the digital archive is a comprehensive retrospective digest of the news presented to the Soviet and Russian public for more than a half-century, from the beginnings of the Cold War through the emergence of Russia in the new balance of power.
Published with this care weekly since 1949, The Current Digest paints a broad picture of Soviet and post-Soviet times, including coverage of domestic affairs and social issues. Articles translated for The Current Digest include important news and comments from the leading dailies and government reports of the day. During the Soviet era, hundreds of other special interest journals and authoritative sources were also scoured for relevant articles to include.
Making available the most extensively used resource for Soviet and Russian scholars in recent decades, The CDPSP Digital Archive promises to expand research possibilities for many of tomorrow's researchers. This massive English-language resource provides rich, full-image content never before available online. With full-text searching and full-image browsing, the online archive will open broad new research opportunities.
The CDPSP Digital Archive supports cross-disciplinary research for:
- Undergraduate and graduate students
- Scholars and librarians
- Researchers and policy-makers
For those who want to be in the know the CDPSP Digital Archive illuminates events of interest in Soviet/Russian affairs with authentic digests of Russian-language news and documents of current interest. It provides access to information about the government, culture, and peoples of the world's other superpower, once almost totally hidden from view outside its borders.
More than 70,000 articles of Soviet and Russian news and commentary are now available online - in English.
The Current Digest carried translations of all important documents of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union and the Soviet government, providing an impressive documentary record of:
- all significant speeches by Soviet leaders;
- meetings of all Party congresses, including the 1956 20th Party Congress and Nikita Khrushchev's "secret speech" denouncing the Stalinist "cult of personality";
- all five-year plans and reports on plan fulfillment;
- all important Soviet laws, including initial drafts, official public discussion of the drafts, and final versions as adopted by the USSR Supreme Soviet;
- Soviet diplomacy, Soviet-US summits and other meetings of Soviet leaders with their foreign counterparts; and
- all Soviet treaties, including arms-control treaties, and all major foreign-policy developments, from the Cuban missile crisis through the Soviet war in Afghanistan and withdrawal from that country.
In the Soviet period, CDPSP editors were ever alert for anything atypical that might herald a change in Soviet life. At the same time they provided readers with representative samples of what was typically in the press.
The complete CDPSP Digital Archive includes all the issues from 1949 to the present.
Years Leaders of the Period
1949 - 1953 Stalin, Malenkov & Bulganin
1953 - 1964 Khrushchev
1964 - 1982 Brezhnev
1982 - 1991 Andropov, Chernenko & Gorbachev
1991 - 1999 Yeltsin
2000 - 2006 Putin
Choose the complete collection - or select specific political periods.
Each subset offers a weekly digest of social, cultural, scientific, and political coverage corresponding to its discrete historical period.
East View's Universal Database (UDB) delivers a reliable and effective research platform that enhances the resource-rich and authoritative CDPSP Digital Archive.
The user-friendly UDB platform quickly reveals unique historical, political, scientific and social connections from within almost 60 years of primary-source materials.
The deep historical collection of the CDPSP Digital Archive is fully indexed with current content of the CDPSP.
UDB features include
- Keyword highlighting
- Optimized search for Russianlanguage terms
- Print, save, e-mail content easily
- Permanent URLs
- Reliability and service from East View
- Quality metadata
- COUNTER-certified usage statistics
Full-text indexing enables fast results through this massive collection.
- Indexing terms and comments added by CDPSP editors provide more "hooks" for effective searching.
Full-image browsing enables users to leaf through content in a natural way similar to print editions
- Full-image content offers the complete original pages with graphical content unavailable in fulltext only databases.
- In-line browsing of full-image page content requires no need to open separate files for each page. All pages containing linked content are presented together in search results for a natural reading experience.
Original bylines, notes, attributions and more are preserved and revealed in full-image pages. Issues typically contained 20-30 full articles:
- Selected by field specialists;
- In context of the full week's news and story development;
- Not limited to a specific set of publications;
- Drawn from the most authoritative press on the most important issues of its Making available the time.